Search

Wednesday 27 March 2019

"The Sea" Gull


A shiny gull
On one grey day
Hanging on the air

Deep red beak
Matching legs
Eyes that stop and stare

Landing on my
Silver bonnet
Checking not my care

Peering in with
Dark eyes within
A fiery ring so fair

Black petty coat
Spotted bright
Dressed without a hair

Head splendid white
Greyback cloak
No need for clothes to wear

And all alone
In cold and rain
A gull without a pair

No smile or frown
No need be proud
“Let me taste your ware…

“I have no purse
“To buy from you
“Or from who knows where?

“I have no bag
“Or bed or home
“To store or make my lair!”

Oh silver gull
Such happy plight
I pray be of your share

Naught weighs you down
On coast or sea
But the wings you bear

In blasting chill
Withstanding ice
Tacking in the air

Riding a gale
Lasting the night
Standing the blinding glare

I think it so
In this grey day
That you are so rare

But you know not
What kind of being
Could live in this nightmare

And like your call
By rippling shore
I hear from over there

Beckon me come
Beyond the sea
A place without a stair

"See, see! The sea, the sea!"

Flesh for tea
Or scraps, no fee
Or feast upon a flea

Contentedly
Wild and free
Kwarwhing out to me

Why not be
Bit more like she
The gull for all to see

The gull that calls "to sea!"