Search

Sunday 14 June 2020

Burning


The ground is cracked
And baking bare
I stagger forward
Not knowing where
I head toward
This fatal day
On which I hoard
My deep dismay


My mouth is parched 
My feet are raw
My head it aches
My legs are sore
My memory scorched 
My arms they sting
My joints they groan
My ears they ring

I must go on
I know not how
I can’t return 
Back up that brow
Where I was blazed
My body broke
My life it flashed 
When I awoke

The sand is cooked
And lifeless bare
I stumble down
Quite unaware 
And hit the ground
And drink the grain
And hear the sound
Of groaning pain

The sky it spins
Without the clouds
And light it fades
The darkness shrouds
And time it wades
In empty pools
Of shallow maids
And silent jewels

I know not how
Long I lay there
But that I wake
Unto a glare 
A shiny lake
A golden one
And cracking ache
And reddened sun

I must be up
Ere setting day
I must make haste
Without delay
I must not waist
The final light 
And chance to taste
My fill of sprite 

I go to move
But I don’t budge
I try to lift
And try to nudge
I try to shift
But I cannot
Much less be swift
I’m pinned down hot

I struggle on
Avail it not
I’m here to stay
Upon this spot
My thoughts they fray
Into the wild
I’m whisked away
A beastly child

Into the night
I’m carried far
Beneath a veil
Of waking star
Into the cold
Of sweat and steam
I know not how
I hear me scream 

And with a jolt
I sit upright
My eyes are wide 
In gripping fright
I look about
And pant the air
In deep concern
I pull my hair

Then in a nick
I’m out the door
I call aloud
On down the hall
And bursting in
Without a jest
I see a crowd
And shout at guest 

“How do you stand
”There unconcerned?
“Do you not know
“The world is burned?
“Awake and see
“The earth’s on fire!
“You must hear me
“The time is dire!”

With speechless guests
My parents stare
Their silence grips
I’m unaware 
My Mother moves 
Beyond our guests
“Some ice cream dear?”
My Mum suggests

With vacant face
I’m coming round
I realise
My own surround
I’m in PJs
And glowing red
With racing heart
And burning head