Search

Monday 27 May 2024

Property


I feel my fingers fiercely
Folding, clenching tight
On naught besides myself
And these fists full of fright


So much so my bones
Inside my fingers bent
Ache under the weight
Of this sentence sent

The furious fire flowing
Through my buckling mind
Coursing down to furnace
My eyes that open blind

I hide
My raging tide of righteous pride
Welling overwhelming
In my fracturing inside

Leaking tortured tears
Carrying realised fears
Salting clenching teeth
Tight on naught beneath

Haunting taunts of gritting years
Of yet more searing fretting debt
With yet more bonds around my neck
To grind me down into a spec

I'm wrecked and terrorised by time
In turmoil and this binding crime
Another term of biting toil
Bodily trenching in mud and soil

Dragging my wrenching poisoned gut
Sick inside my sagging heart
Failing in my faulty chest
Fatigued by strife that will not rest

I'm bent
My meddled mess in mingled mud
The misery, I remember much
I'm spent, and yet it's not enough

I sign and seal my sinking debt
And step beneath the weight now set

* * *

"Truly, truly, I say to you
You did what you wanted to
You were young and clothed yourself
You went when others might have left

But when you hereby may be old
Someone else will keep you cold
Another one will lay you down
And dress you as you'd never gown"