Search

Tuesday 2 April 2019

Away


Away, as a ranger
My back for a bed
My little boy Elijah
Bows down his blonde head 

The sun in the bright sky
Looks down where I stray
But little I ponder
A sleep in the day

The wind is not blowing
Nor baby awake
And little does Lijah
Know sighings I make

Away, in the yonder
Is where my heart runs
Out back of the bush
Too rough for young sons

The wild in the distance
Can’t reach if I try
But linger by shore
And look with mind’s eye

Water echos above
Buoyed clouds drifting slow
Sift sand in my hands
Bask in light falling low

Away, in a feeling
Getting back to the land
Going in beyond fences
Into time out of hand

Down a thin track
A scape from the fray
Space almost alone
Place out of the way

I squat low and quiet
Stalling dead still
Listen and notice
Small birds make a trill

Breathing surrounds
Smelling salt in the air
Studying the ground
Moving very aware

Touching a paw print
Sensing the past
Imaging I stay here
In time that’s gone fast

Away, in creation
In what the Lord does
The risen Lord Jesus
In the beginning he was

Wind stirs over the bay
My baby awakes
But little Elijah
No crying he makes

I love you son Liji
Looking up to me high
Now stay on my back
Until night time is nigh