Search

Friday 12 April 2019

I have a Blue Tongue


I am cold blooded
From tip to tail
Don’t want to get up
Lest it’s hot on the rail

Don’t want to come out
Lest for a good feed
Even then I move slowly
Just do what I need

Don’t mind a corner
Where I can laze and bake
It’s the sun that revives me
And the time that I take

I do mind my space
If territory’s at risk
I can get quite upset
It may mean being brisk

From weird foods I eat
I have a blue tongue
All the fruit and ripe veggies
That bulge out my tum

Handle me if you like
If you pick the right time
Then plonk me on my hide
To recover with a rhyme

But alas! I’m not a blue tongue
And the only way to know
I don’t have a stumpy tail
Blotched scales, head plateau

I don’t have dull red eyes
Or go sliding on my tummy
I don’t swallow unchewed food
Or hiss when I am grumpy

I don’t sneeze through my nose
Or crawl or gape my jaws
I don’t curl up so easily
Or scratch about with claws

I don’t get to sleep for days
Just come out when I’m ready
I don’t get to warm up first
Focus just on my belly

I don’t get to shed my skin
Or snort with glaring eye
I don’t get to wander off
Find a better place to lie